We are making food waste smarter
Aerobic Digesters: The Circular Economy and Beneficial Reuse
Globally, an estimated one third of the food produced is wasted. In the United States, 40 percent of the food goes uneaten, more than 20 pounds of food per person per month. Not only are Americans throwing out the equivalent of $165 billion each year, but also 25 percent of all freshwater. During the process, large quantities of chemicals, energy, and land are wasted.
• One third of the food produced globally for human consumption is wasted.
• Americans throw out the equivalent of $165 billion of food as waste and 25 percent of all freshwater each year
• We must move the solid waste industry to the concept of a circular economy (keep resources in use for as long as possible, extracting the maximum value from them while in use, then recovering and regenerating products and materials at the end of each service life) vs linear (make, use, dispose).
• The food digesters of old – grinders with water as a dilution – are not aerobic digesters. Through the use of specific blends of microorganisms and improved machine design with a focus on the scientific processes of digestion (oxygen, temperature, and maintaining neutral pH), aerobic food digesters have become a viable onsite solution.
• Some available options for landfill diversion are aerobic digesters with big data cloud capabilities, composting, and anaerobic digestion.
• BioHiTech offers an onsite aerobic digester technology in addition to data analytics to arm organizations with the tools to minimize the creation of organic food waste.
• BioHiTech’s Cloud platform will assist in making purchasing decisions which could in turn reduce waste and provide for significant cost savings.
• 70% of the food waste digested by a BioHiTech Digester is returned to the overall water cycle as water.
• The Digester’s environmental impacts and benefits are comparable to or superior to alternative methods of organic waste disposal.
• BioHiTech doesn’t ask customers to trust it; it simply asks customers to try it; because BioHiTech is convinced (and its digesters prove this out via data) that it can change business outcomes.